So what is RoWeRS?
It is a brand new innovative system of building from AMG.
These weather-related delays not only incur costs for both the contractor and the client but they also result in a failure to meet pre-agreed occupation dates, inevitably causing real problems by disrupting the plans and arrangements clients put in place around these crucial dates.
Building projects in the UK construction industry tend to be 90% bespoke – with different shapes, sizes, techniques, methods and interfaces with the existing buildings occurring on an individual basis from project to project. This means continuous improvement and development is very low.
Clients opting for a modular solution were also faced with the added burden of separately procuring site preparation work, asbestos surveys and removal, demolition works, groundworks (foundations and drainage), any internal reconfiguration of the existing adjacent buildings, and external works (parking, play areas, pathways, landscaping, fencing, street furniture etc) – as well as placing an order with a modular supplier- who simply don’t want to get involved on site in the problematic early and finishing stages of most projects.
In addition, the client will have to make a substantial deposit payment to a modular company of up to 50% of the order value on day 1 when they place their order. Up-front at-risk financing is not necessary with AMG, we work under a standard fair JCT contract and agree all terms, including bonds and warranties, before we commence, in fact our first payment will not become due until we are almost 2 months into the build programme on site.
The AMG solution:
All of the individual techniques or construction technologies are established and widely used in the construction industry. By putting the best and most flexible together we have developed a system that not only improves buildability but also allows for repetition from project to project of the basic elements whilst remaining totally flexible and bespoke. Together with our architects and designers, AMG have now developed and improved standard details, sections, components, materials and construction methods which are safe, eco-friendly, robust and sustainable – and can be repeated and refined from project to project.
RoWeRS allows great flexibility in the design and maximises the best use of available space within the unique existing environment where a new building is needed – but allows implementation of tried and trusted techniques in a tried and tested bespoke system.
AMG has over 118 years’ experience and will design and deliver a building you will be proud of.
We offer a variety of building types, from single storey single classrooms to multi storey larger facilities suitable for Schools, Colleges, Universities, Local authorities in all sectors, incorporating any architectural features required by local planning authorities.
No need to be stuck with rooms in pre-configured modular layouts. Each AMG RoWeRS solution is designed to meet the current British Standards, latest Building Regulations requirements and current NHS HTM & statutory educational standards, and delivers a cost-effective space providing value for money whilst beating the modular competition in terms of your expectations for quality and comfort.
Good for education:
All of these were challenging projects each with its own particular demands that were incorporated into the detailed planning and design. Our RoWeRS buildings create a great learning and teaching environment.
What else can RoWeRS be used for?:
Services provided – A “one stop shop”:
• Undertake Site Investigations and provide reports, undertake coal mining reports & carry out detailed Topographical and utility surveys.
• Produce pre-demolition asbestos surveys (the old type 3 asbestos survey) and offer asbestos removal strategies where required.
• Assist with Planning permissions, together with discharging conditions and taking care of Building Regulation applications.
• Building Regulation approval – We can assist in the Provision of Building Control Approved Inspector Services by your Local Authority or via our Approved partners.
• CDM – We provide full compliance for the Principal Contractor and Principal Designer Roles under the current Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 – (CDM 2015)
• Provide 3D architectural visuals for the proposed building before any commitment to commence is required.
• Arrange for new Incoming Mains Services – We can assist in the provision of Statutory Authority or other service providers for new or upgraded incoming services, connections, meters etc for electricity, water, gas, telecoms, cable etc including carrying out the on-site trenches, pipework, ducts and resurfacing work.
• Designers – Use AMG’s team or select your own preferred consultants, the choice is yours.
So, what do you get by choosing RoWeRS for your new building?:
A typical project will usually involve AMG carrying out and providing the following – all fully compliant with latest Building Regulations requirements:
• Site clearance, demolition works, ground remediation and preparation works as necessary
• Foundations & Ground Floor – a traditional reinforced concrete slab on concrete strip footings with suitable DPM and insulation.
• Frame – a robust structural steel frame
• Roof – an insulated single ply roofing membrane system with suitable insulation on a structural steel deck. Access provision, permanent edge protection, Mansafe systems or walkways provided as required. Rainwater goods in aluminium. Fascias and soffits in self-finished robust panels to match the wall design requirements.
• External Walls – a self-finished decorative robust panel rainscreen cladding system with non combustible insulation.
• Aluminium Windows, polyester powder coated to any standard colour, safety glazing to building regulation requirements, opening configurations to suit the client’s requirements.
• Aluminium external doors – polyester powder coated to any standard colour, any size, standard opening, folding or sliding with auto or manual operation, low profile thresholds, with matching electrically operated or manual roller shutters.
• Fire Escape staircases, internally or externally.
• Internal walls & partitions – Insulated robust partitions with required acoustic and fire performance. Manual or automatic folding room dividers if required.
• Internal Doors – To client’s choice regarding veneer / laminated / painted facings, hardwood or softwood linings. Fire / acoustic rated provided as required, ironmongery including anti-finger trap protection provided.
• Wall Finishes – finished plaster walls and painted in two coats emulsion paint. Skirting boards in hardwood, softwood, vinyl or tile to match floor finish. Ceramic wall tiles or Altro Whiterock finishes in wet or hygienic areas.
• Floor finishes – To client’s choice in carpet, non-slip vinyl sheet, ceramic tiling, timber or polymer resin. Barrier matting and matwells in entrance areas.
• Ceiling Finishes – Generally self-finished suspended ceilings with MR or painted Gyproc plaster MF ceilings in toilets or wet areas.
• Electrical Installations – as designed by our specialist to the client’s brief.
o Typically comprising Sub Main Distribution, General Lighting and Emergency Lighting, Small Power and Mechanical Supplies, Fire Alarm, Security Alarm, Access controls, BMS wiring, PV Panels, IT infrastructure and telecom containment, External Lighting, Lightning Protection, General Earthing and Bonding, Testing & Commissioning and Certification.
• Lifts and Platform Lifts
• Mechanical services – as designed by our specialist to the client’s brief.
Typically comprising Domestic Hot and Cold Water, Heating with traditional Low Surface Temperature radiators or radiant panels, domestic water heating including Cylinders pumps & chlorination, Mechanical & Natural Extract Ventilation systems, Automatic controls, Comfort Cooling / Air Conditioning, Sprinkler systems, Rainwater harvesting, Testing & Commissioning and Certification.
• Plumbing and Sanitary ware – as designed by our specialist to the client’s brief.
o Typically comprising white vitreous china wc’s and wash hand basins, bespoke laminated vanity units, doc M assisted WC’s, baby change faciliteis, with upvc Soil and waste pipes
• Fixtures and Fittings– as designed by our specialist to the client’s brief.
o Typically comprising Wall and base units with laminated worktops, shelving, Baby change units, stainless steel sink units, reception desks, rooflights, notice boards, mirrors, pipe boxing, IPS type panelling to toilet areas, wc cubicles, hand driers, toilet roll holders, hat and coat hooks, soap dispensers, pinboards, interactive whiteboards, glazed screens, blinds, signs, specialist catering kitchen installations, folding room dividers etc.
• External works – as designed by our specialist to the client’s brief.
o Typically comprising paving, roadways, paths and car parking area in macadam or brick paviours, fencing & gates, bollards, balustrades and railings, play areas in soft-pour safety surfacing in any colour / design, Exterior sun shade canopies, covered play and learning spaces, landscaping and planting.
• Drainage – as designed by our specialist to the client’s brief.
o Typically comprising all new foul and storm water drainage pipework, fittings and manholes from the new building. New connection to sewers in the adjacent highways or to the existing systems. All new “below slab” foul water drainage. All existing systems surveyed and designed by our specialists. Flood risk assessments. Petrol / oil interceptors provided where required. SUDS drainage systems designed and provided where required. Pumping stations, storage tanks, alarms & vents designed and provided where required. Rainwater attenuation systems designed and provided.
• External services – Incoming supplies, meters and connections for new water, electricity, gas, data and telecoms supplies etc, designed and provided where required.
How long will it take to build?:
RoWeRS is as fast as a modular alternative from start to finish – we could be on site building within 3 weeks of receiving your order with completion dependent upon the size of your building, but typically 18 to 22 weeks from us starting work on site – all delivered with complete Programme certainty. Modular suppliers state they will only be on site for 4 to 6 weeks, with no mention of the 10 to 16-week manufacturing lead in time they require to fabricate the units, or that they will not allow other essential trades and specialists inside the building until they have vacate site – leaving you, the client, to sort out your IT cabling needs, loose furniture installations etc as well as having to arrange for an experienced builder to finish any of the interface works or the external works . All of these necessary elements of a build can and will be accommodated and dealt with by the experienced AMG team within the overall construction period on site making the RoWeRS system as “fast-track” as any modular build, or actually quicker.
Remember – Our Advice would always be to give careful consideration to what the modular build system proposal does NOT Include. YOU may well have to separately procure and arrange surveys, site preparation work, asbestos removal, demolition works, groundworks (foundations and drainage), any internal reconfiguration of the existing buildings, fitting out, decorating, M&E services and external works, paving and fencing etc if you were to opt for the “simpler” modular approach over a stress-free RoWeRS solution with AMG.
When the building is finished:
Post-handover and 12 months warranty support – we provide a soft landing to occupying and maintaining your new building when we hand you the keys. AMG have a dedicated maintenance department, a full time directly employed manager and a directly employed maintenance team of tradesmen that will engage with your site four weeks before completion to meet and introduce themselves to you and your staff and ensure a Soft Landing for handover of the project, thereafter Mark and his team will provide familiar faces and a point of contact during the 12-month aftercare period.
Case Study 1 - Holy Trinity, Sandwell MBC
The council needed to increase the school’s Holy Trinity Primary School capacity to a two-form entry primary school providing 420 places for children aged 5 to 11 years old. Read More…
Case Study 2 - King Charles Primary School, Walsall.
A new single storey building of 297m2 (3,197 ft2) floor area, together with internal refurbishment of the existing school
Case Study 3 - Q3 Academy
The Grace Payne Learning Centre at the award winning Q3 Academy in Great Barr
. Read More…