The Glovers Trust Almshouses
The phased conversion, extension , refurbishment and re-modelling of 31 existing Almshouses, originally built in 1932, along with the wardens office and community room, together with the construction of two new dwellings.
This project was nominated for The Patron’s Award, instituted by HRH The Prince of Wales as part of The Prince’s Trust.
Project The Glovers Trust Almshouses
Location Erdington, Birmingham
Client The Glovers Trust
Project The phased conversion, extension , refurbishment and re-modelling of 31 existing Almshouses, originally built in 1932, along with the wardens office and community room together with two new bungalows. Located in an existing residential area situated off the busy Chester Road in Erdington. The site remained “live” with residents throughout the duration of the works. The layout of the existing buildings and the challenge of the existing gate house archway, restricting access, required all materials to be unloaded and stored on the site frontage before being carefully and considerately transported around the site.
Project Value £ £2.4M
Project Duration Weeks 60 weeks
Form of Contract JCT Contract with Quantities
Design Team Walker Troup Architects, Couch Consulting Engineers, Dominic Frampton,
Procurement Competitive single stage tender