Contact links

Contact us

 

Arthur M Griffiths & Son Ltd
Thomas Street
Wolverhampton
WV2 4BY

info@amgriffiths.co.uk

01902 420611

The company moved to Thomas Street, Wolverhampton in 1904, where the head office can still be found today.

It was here that Arthur’s son Harry, in 1920, and later his grandson Alan, in 1948, joined the business, both making their own mark on the company’s history and profile.

Harry first started working with his father whilst still at Wolverhampton Grammar School on Saturday mornings. He joined the company full time at the age of 15, and by the age of 19 Arthur trusted him to run the company alone and opted to take early retirement.

Taking the work ethic of his father and combining it with his drive and determination to succeed, Harry’s direction saw AMG grow to become one of the most respected building companies in the area.

By the 1930s, under Harry’s leadership, AMG were undertaking large Local Authority contracts to build council houses in Wolverhampton, Coseley, Stourbridge, Wednesfield and the surrounding areas, as well as many private housing developments.

The construction of 500 houses at Low Hill was one of the companies first large scale major contracts.

In 1934 the company moved to larger offices, still in Thomas Street, then during 1939 to 1945 they were employed on factory maintenance and MoD government work as part of the war effort.

Post war contracts included building new schools for Shropshire and Staffordshire County Councils, Wolverhampton and Dudley Borough Councils as well as hospitals for the Local area Health Authorities.

The reputation established during the war years for providing a much valued service to the regions manufacturing industry led to AMG having teams of workmen based full time in factories throughout the Midlands undertaking maintenance work.

Following in his father’s footsteps, Alan Griffiths also joined the company straight from school at the age of 15 working alongside his father in a joint management role.

Their successful partnership continued until 1994 when Harry retired at the age of 89. This remarkable man’s achievements included being awarded an MBE for services to the building industry and the ministry of works, and serving as the Chairman of Wednesfield District Council.

The company today is run by a board of directors who are very proud of the company’s long and rich heritage. In 1997 Alan Griffiths took the decision to appoint a board of directors to ensure that the success of the family business continued beyond his retirement.

The company moved to Thomas Street, Wolverhampton in 1904, where the head office can still be found today.

It was here that Arthur’s son Harry, in 1920, and later his grandson Alan, in 1948, joined the business, both making their own mark on the company’s history and profile.

Harry first started working with his father whilst still at Wolverhampton Grammar School on Saturday mornings. He joined the company full time at the age of 15, and by the age of 19 Arthur trusted him to run the company alone and opted to take early retirement.

Taking the work ethic of his father and combining it with his drive and determination to succeed, Harry’s direction saw AMG grow to become one of the most respected building companies in the area.

By the 1930s, under Harry’s leadership, AMG were undertaking large Local Authority contracts to build council houses in Wolverhampton, Coseley, Stourbridge, Wednesfield and the surrounding areas, as well as many private housing developments.

The construction of 500 houses at Low Hill was one of the companies first large scale major contracts.

In 1934 the company moved to larger offices, still in Thomas Street, then during 1939 to 1945 they were employed on factory maintenance and MoD government work as part of the war effort.

Post war contracts included building new schools for Shropshire and Staffordshire County Councils, Wolverhampton and Dudley Borough Councils as well as hospitals for the Local area Health Authorities.

The reputation established during the war years for providing a much valued service to the regions manufacturing industry led to AMG having teams of workmen based full time in factories throughout the Midlands undertaking maintenance work.

Following in his father’s footsteps, Alan Griffiths also joined the company straight from school at the age of 15 working alongside his father in a joint management role.

Their successful partnership continued until 1994 when Harry retired at the age of 89. This remarkable man’s achievements included being awarded an MBE for services to the building industry and the ministry of works, and serving as the Chairman of Wednesfield District Council.

The company today is run by a board of directors who are very proud of the company’s long and rich heritage. In 1997 Alan Griffiths took the decision to appoint a board of directors to ensure that the success of the family business continued beyond his retirement.

The company moved to Thomas Street, Wolverhampton in 1904, where the head office can still be found today.

It was here that Arthur’s son Harry, in 1920, and later his grandson Alan, in 1948, joined the business, both making their own mark on the company’s history and profile.

Harry first started working with his father whilst still at Wolverhampton Grammar School on Saturday mornings. He joined the company full time at the age of 15, and by the age of 19 Arthur trusted him to run the company alone and opted to take early retirement.

Taking the work ethic of his father and combining it with his drive and determination to succeed, Harry’s direction saw AMG grow to become one of the most respected building companies in the area.

By the 1930s, under Harry’s leadership, AMG were undertaking large Local Authority contracts to build council houses in Wolverhampton, Coseley, Stourbridge, Wednesfield and the surrounding areas, as well as many private housing developments.

The construction of 500 houses at Low Hill was one of the companies first large scale major contracts.

In 1934 the company moved to larger offices, still in Thomas Street, then during 1939 to 1945 they were employed on factory maintenance and MoD government work as part of the war effort.

Post war contracts included building new schools for Shropshire and Staffordshire County Councils, Wolverhampton and Dudley Borough Councils as well as hospitals for the Local area Health Authorities.

The reputation established during the war years for providing a much valued service to the regions manufacturing industry led to AMG having teams of workmen based full time in factories throughout the Midlands undertaking maintenance work.

Following in his father’s footsteps, Alan Griffiths also joined the company straight from school at the age of 15 working alongside his father in a joint management role.

Their successful partnership continued until 1994 when Harry retired at the age of 89. This remarkable man’s achievements included being awarded an MBE for services to the building industry and the ministry of works, and serving as the Chairman of Wednesfield District Council.

The company today is run by a board of directors who are very proud of the company’s long and rich heritage. In 1997 Alan Griffiths took the decision to appoint a board of directors to ensure that the success of the family business continued beyond his retirement.