01902 420 611
Arthur M Griffiths & Son Ltd
Call 01902 420 611
design by thestudiogroup.co.uk
Building on the foundations laid in 1899
Mr Arthur M Griffiths started his business in 1899 as a tradesman builder working from a small workshop in Church Lane, Wolverhampton.
From those humble beginnings, the business became a family concern that has grown into one of the Midlands most respected construction companies responsible for many major landmarks and estates across the region.
The company moved to Thomas Street, Wolverhampton in 1904, where the head office can still be found today. It is here that Arthur’s son Harry, in 1920, and later his grandson Alan, in 1948, joined the business, both making their own mark on the company’s history and profile.
Harry first started working with his father whilst still at Wolverhampton Grammar School, on Saturday mornings. He joined the company full time at the age of 15, and by the age of 19 – Arthur trusted him to run the company alone and opted to take early retirement.
Taking the work ethic of his father and combining it with his drive and determination to succeed, Harry’s direction saw AMG grow to become one of the most respected building companies in the area.
By the 1930s AMG, under Harry’s leadership, was undertaking large Local Authority contracts to build council houses in Wolverhampton, Coseley, Stourbridge, Wednesfield and the surrounding areas as well as private housing developments. The construction of 500 homes at Low Hill was one of the first major contracts.
In 1934 the firm moved to larger offices still in Thomas Street and during the war years they were employed mostly on factory maintenance and MoD government work.
Post war contracts included building new schools for Shropshire and Staffordshire County Councils, Wolverhampton and Dudley Borough Councils as well as hospitals for the Local area Health Authorities. The reputation established during the war years for providing a much valued service to the regions manufacturing industry led to AMG having teams of workmen based full time in factories throughout the Midlands undertaking maintenance work.
Following in his father’s footsteps, Alan Griffiths also joined the company straight from school at the age of 15 working alongside his father in a joint management role. Their successful partnership continued until 1994 when Harry retired at the age of 89. This remarkable man’s achievements included being awarded the MBE for services to the building industry and the ministry of works and serving as the Chairman of Wednesfield District Council.
The company is now run by a board of directors who are very proud of the company’s rich heritage. In 1997 Alan Griffiths took the decision to appoint a board of Directors to ensure the success of the family business continued beyond his retirement. The first directors appointed that year were Maurice Walsh, and Simon Dix. This was later followed in 2001 by the promotion of Gary Wildsmith to the board with Maurice Walsh being appointed as Managing Director.
During 2013 Richard Green, was approached to join Maurice, Simon and Gary, and was appointed Construction Director in October 2013
The latest phase in the company’s development saw the Board of Directors complete a management buyout from the Griffiths family in April 2015, and soon after Maurice became Chairman and Richard moved into the role of Managing Director.
Together, the board has continued to establish AMG as a leading contractor within the West Midlands region but they remain loyal to the strong foundations on which the company was built.
They stay true to the values laid down by Arthur M. Griffiths over 100 years ago and hard work, dedication, an entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to excellence remain the lifeblood of the company’s ethos.
“Our philosophy is quite simple – To be the benchmark for which all others aspire to be.”